Squalid upkeep: 1 silver per 100 XP
Henchmen and retainers must make a Morale check or they bail. On a d12 roll of 1, something bad happens. If players pay nothing or less than the squalid rate, they automatically roll on the chart.
Squalid Mishaps Chart:
1. Disaster strikes! Lose all your possessions, PERMANENTLY. A fate worse than death?
2. It’s one thing after another… Roll twice on this table.
3. An attempt on your life! Save vs. Death or you were murdered in your sleep. Sorry.
4. Violently attacked! Lose all your wealth and weapons. Begin adventure with 1 Hit Point.
5. Mugged! Lose all your wealth! Begin adventure with 1 Hit Point.
6. Snatch and Grab! Lose a random magic item you’re wearing.
7. Robbed! Lose a random magic item in your inventory.
8. Pissed off the wrong witch! Struck by a random curse.
9. Off to tell the Cleric about your weird burning sensation... Contract a random disease.
10. Debt collectors found you! Lose 50% of your wealth.
11. Crappy sleep. -1 on all attack rolls and saving throws.
12. Scumbag reputation. Permanent -2 on reaction checks until Luxurious upkeep paid.
13. Bad food poisoning. 50% Hit Points for this adventure (Cure Disease removes).
14. "Did I drop something?" Lose a random non-magical item.
15. Subjected to terrible street poetry. Annoyed at everything, so -1 on reaction checks for this adventure.
16. "So what do you wanna do, pawn it or sell it?" Lose a random magic item. Buy it back for 1g per 100 xp.
17. Shabby reputation. Permanent -1 on reaction checks in this location until Luxurious upkeep paid.
18. "I’m not cheap, I’m frugal." Penny pinching paid off! Treat as Comfortable Upkeep.
19. Made a friend with a local beggar. You owe him or her a favor, though…20. You found a hidden gem as far as cheap hostels and taverns are concerned. Treat as Luxurious Upkeep!
Standard upkeep: 1 gold per 100 XP
Henchmen and retainers receive +1 Morale until the next upkeep.
Luxurious upkeep: 2 gold per 100 XP
Henchmen and retainers automatically succeed on Morale checks. +1 to Reaction Checks in this location until next Upkeep. 50% bonus to XP until next upkeep. Roll a d12. On a 12, roll on the perks chart.
Luxurious Perks Chart: (most perks last until the next upkeep unless noted otherwise)
1. Luck is on your side! You get to reroll any one die this session. Can't be saved for future sessions.
2. Feeling well rested. +1 temporary hit die! (Fighters roll d8, etc.)
3. Eye of the tiger. +1 to attack rolls.
4. Dreaming of dragons. +1 to save vs. Breath Weapons.
5. Dreamed of the Reaper. +1 to saves vs. Poison or Death.
6. Shook off a case of sleep paralysis! +1 to save vs. Petrify or Paralyze.
7. Dreamed of rainbows and unicorns. +1 to saves vs. Wands.
8. Vision of a baleful eye staring into your soul... +1 to saves vs. Spells and Spell-like Devices.
9. Excellently sharpened/maintained and polished weaponry. +1 to damage rolls.
10. Struck with a burst of inspiration!You can ask the DM for a hint or clue. Just once.
11. Happen upon a misplaced piece of jewelry worth d1000xlevel gold.
12. Get complimented by a local NPC. Make a useful contact.
13. Find a book of poetry that inspires you to greatness! Get one reroll you can use this session.
14. Really? I never knew that. Someone provides you with useful information.
15. Someone offers to sell you a useful magic item for a good price.
16. My, but you’re dashing … you’ve attracted the attention of a powerful NPC of compatible background.
17. “In recognition of your service…” You’re given a medal. Permanent +1 on local reaction checks.
18. Cool and collected. +100% XP bonus. (Double XP) Lasts until next upkeep or when you level up.
19. Enlightened. +150% XP Bonus! Lasts until next upkeep or when you level up.20. On a mission. +200% XP bonus. (Triple XP) Lasts until next upkeep or when you level up.